Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Should Police Worry About New Spandexed Partner?


My first impression of Phoenix Jones, Seattle's own real life version of "Kick-Ass" was that he was the delusional result of the inspiration most parents share with their naive children that you can be whoever you want to be. As far as I was concerned, Phoenix Jones was the kid that took this message a little too seriously and slapped on some spandex for some much too realistic role play fighting crime.

But just because Phoenix Jones doesn't really have x-ray vision and can't leap tall buildings in single bounds does not mean he's a worthless amateur joke and I would advise everyone to give this guy a chance.

Phoenix was asked, "some people might ask if you're crazy. Are you crazy?"

To this he stoically responded, "Have you ever seen something that you thought was wrong or not fair? That you wanted to change? And then you just thought about it for days or weeks?"

"Of corse," the interviewer responded.

"Well I haven't. I don't stand by and watch things happen that are wrong. When I see it I fix it. Does that make me crazy?"

That's why it saddens me to share that Phoenix Jones was left with a broken nose this past weekend while fighting for justice. Police, opposed to Jones' superhero approach, jumped on this incident and argue "Does superman get his ass kicked?" No.

Police have made it clear that they would rather the "superheroes" act as witnesses instead of inserting themselves into fights. They instead encourage potential superheroes to just call 911. But this approach of evasion of responsibility and involvement harms society. It reminds me of the "advice" school authorities taught me in eighth grade. I was told that if someone picks a fight with you, the most appropriate plan of action is to curl up in a ball and whatever you do don't fight back.

The irony of his costume makes a statement that a police officer cannot because he's really just an average dude. His clothing choice also says a lot about his character; If this guy isn't afraid to strut around in spandex then who knows if anything will phase him.


"I symbolize that the average person doesn't have to walk around and see bad things and do nothing."
-Phoenix Jones

1 comment:

  1. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=292622&id=615123763

    ReplyDelete