Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Skate Expectations






Stress, the evil monster taking over my life, fled Austin College today when my professor announced our newest class assignment, doing something we actually wanted to do for the evening. My heart leapt for joy because I already had plans.

I’ve always loved ice skating ever since I was a little girl. There’s something so relaxing about sliding across the ice. Everything just gets really peaceful (with the exception of dodging little kids stumbling along the ice but that just makes it more of an adventure). It allows time to just think. It also brings a challenge! Who can stand up the longest, or in my boyfriend’s case, how many times can I trip you?

Upon hearing this assignment, I drove as quickly as I could away from my stress and towards an evening of happiness. We slid around the ice, me nearly falling on several different occasions, for a while and experienced a slight misadventure involving a pair of jeans ripping at the pocket. Perfect evening, just the de-stress I needed.

4 comments:

  1. Whoa, I'm really bad at ice skating. Where is there a rink around here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ice skating too! Loved it since I was a wee one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the personification of stress because, well let's face it, sometimes it is quite the monster. I also like the title, whether you ripped it from the Charles Dickens novel or the recently released Diggy Simmons song (both entitled "Great Expectations"), I thought it was creative and well placed, no matter how luckily coincidental.

    ReplyDelete